Monaco Cathedral

General Information
Admission free

4, rue Colonel Bellando de Castro
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 30 87 70

Description
Built in 1875 using white stone from La Turbie, the present-day Cathedral stands on the site of a 13th century church dedicated to Saint Nicolas and houses the tombs of the former Princes of Monaco. It is also the final resting placeof Monaco's much loved Princess Grace. Of particular interest are the retable (circa 1500) to the right of the transept painted by the Louis Bréa from neighboring Nice, the Great Altar and the Episcopal throne in white Carrara marble.

Pontifical services take place on the major religious festivals such as the Feast of Sainte Dévote (27th January) and the National holiday (19th November).

On feast days and during religious music concerts, one can hear the magnificent four-keyboard organ, which was inaugurated in 1976.
From September through June, “Les Petits Chanteurs de Monaco” and the singers of the Cathedral Choir School sing during the mass every Sunday at 10:00AM

Museum of Chapel of the Visitation

General Information
Open daily (except Mondays): from 10:00AM to 4:00PM
Rate (per person): 3.00€
Children from 6 to 14 years old, students and adults over 65 years: 1.50€
Duration of visit: 30 minutes

Place de la Visitation
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 50 07 00

Description
This museum, housed in a baroque style chapel dating from the VII century, is home to part of the remarkable collection of sacred works of art belonging to Mrs. Piasecka Johnson, with masterpieces from Rubens, Zurbaran, Ribera and masters of the Italian Baroque period

Prince’s Palace

General Information
Open daily (subject to changes)
From June to September: from 9:30AM to 6:00PM
During October: from 10:00AM to 5:00PM
Annual closure from November to May
Rate (per person): 6€
Children from 8 to 14 years old: 3€
Duration of tape guided visit: 30 minutes

Place du Palais
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 25 18 31
Fax: (+377) 93 50 81 73

Description
The guardian of a centuries-old tradition, this uniquely located Palace was built on the site of a fortress built by the Genoese in 1215.
A visit takes one on a journey through history from the time of the Guelfes and the Gibelins to the Napoleonic period. The outstanding features of the Palace that can be admired include:
The Italian-style Gallery running alongside the South facade; the State Apartments; and the sumptuous frescoes by XVI century Genoese artists, depicting mythological scenes.
The Louis XV Salon, yellow and gold.
The Salon Bleu, a marvelous harmony of blue and gold.
The Mazarin Salon, paneled in polychrome wood with arabesque motifs.
The Throne Room, containing a large Renaissance fireplace, where historic festivals and ceremonies have been held since the XVI century.
The Palatine Chapel built in the XVII century.
The Sainte-Marie Tower, like the Clock Tower, was built during the Albert I‘s reign, using white stone from La Turbie. The Prince’s standard flies from the top of this tower when the Prince is in residence.
The Main courtyard, paved with 3 million white and colored pebbled forming immense geometrical patterns, and its noble XVII century double-revolution staircase in Carrara marble, is home to the famous summer concerts. This was once the central part of the fortress built in the XVIII century.

Place du Palais

General Information
Admission free (entrance to museum itself: 4€)
Changing of the guard every day at 11:55AM

Description
Lined with batteries of cannons cast during the reign of Louis XIV, the Place du Palais offers a unique panoramic view overlooking the Port and Monte-Carlo, stretching as far as Bordighera in Italy (to the north-east), Fontvieille and Cap-d’Ail (to the south-west).

Every day at 11:55AM sharp, in front of the Palace’s main entrance, visitors can enjoy the spectacular changing of the guard ceremony performed by the “Carabiniers” in full dress uniform (black in winter, white in summer), a ceremony that has remained unchanged for more than a century. Not only are the Prince’s “Carabiniers” responsible for the Sovereign’s security 24 hours a day but they also provide Him with a Guard of Honor and escort Him on special occasions.

The “Compagnie des Carabiniers du Prince” has a military band (Fanfare) consisting of 27 musicians; within the main band a small variety orchestra and a brass ensemble (for religious music) have been formed.
The military band performs public concerts and also plays at official occasions, sports events and international military music festivals.

Monte-Carlo Casino

Place du Casino
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 92 16 20 00
Fax: (+377) 92 16 38 62

General Information
Open daily
Persons under 18 not admitted
ID obligatory
Dress code: Jacket and tie for men
Duration of visit: 30 to 40 minutes

European Rooms:
Slot machines:
Monday to Friday: after 2:00PM
Saturday and Sunday: after 12:00PM
Roulette, Trente et Quarante: after 12:00PM
Rate (per person): 10€

Private Rooms:
European and English Roulette, Trente et Quarante, Chemin de Fer, Black Jack, Craps:
From November to May: after 3:00PM

From June to October:
From Monday to Friday: after 4:00P
From Saturday to Sunday after 3:00PM

Double sided table at 5:00PM and 10:30PM

Punto Banco after 10:00PM

Rate (per person): 10€

English Club:

Black Jack, English Roulette after 10:00PM

Description
Charles Garnier, the architect of the opera house in Paris, built the Casino in 1878.
The “atrium”, paved in marble, is surrounded by 28 Ionic columns in onyx. It leads into the auditorium of the opera, called the “Salle Garnier”, which is decorated in red and gold, with a profusion of bas-reliefs, frescoes and sculptures. Here, for more than a century, outstanding international performances of opera, ballet and concerts have been staged.
The “gaming rooms” comprise a succession of numerous rooms featuring stained glass windows, admirable decorations and sculptures, allegorical paintings and bronze lamps.

Condamine Market and Rue Princess Caroline Pedestrian Mall

General Information
Place d’Armes, Rue Terrazzani and Rue Princesse-Caroline

Description
Although the Market first opened its doors in 1880, the present-day covered market on the Place d’Armes is a modern and functional building, which is directly connected by lifts and moving pavements to the Condamine car-park.

An attractive and lively esplanade borders the new Market Hall. The rue Princesse-Caroline pedestrian mall is just a few steps away; the visitor will discover pleasant landscaped areas.

Azur Express” Tourist Train through Monaco

Station Departure-Arrival:
Oceanographic Museum
Avenue Saint-Martin
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 92 05 64 38

General Information
Duration of ride: 30 minutes
Runs every day except in January and from November 15 to December 26.
In Summer: 10:00AM to 5:00PM
In Winter: 10:30AM to 6:00PM (according to the weather conditions)
Rate (per person): 6€
Children under age 5: free

Description
These little trains in the national Monegasque colors make daily journeys with commentary in English, Italian, German and French.
During the trip you will discover the Monaco Port, Monte-Carlo and its Palaces, the famous Casino and its gardens, before returning to the Old Town with its City Hall and finally the magnificent Prince’s Palace.

Churches in Monaco

Monaco Cathedral

General Information
Admission free

4, rue Colonel Bellando de Castro
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 30 87 70

Description
Built in 1875 using white stone from La Turbie, the present-day Cathedral stands on the site of a 13th century church dedicated to Saint Nicolas and houses the tombs of the former Princes of Monaco. It is also the final resting placeof Monaco's much loved Princess Grace. Of particular interest are the retable (circa 1500) to the right of the transept painted by the Louis Bréa from neighboring Nice, the Great Altar and the Episcopal throne in white Carrara marble.

Pontifical services take place on the major religious festivals such as the Feast of Sainte Dévote (27th January) and the National holiday (19th November).

On feast days and during religious music concerts, one can hear the magnificent four-keyboard organ, which was inaugurated in 1976.
From September through June, “Les Petits Chanteurs de Monaco” and the singers of the Cathedral Choir School sing during the mass every Sunday at 10:00AM

Museum of Chapel of the Visitation

General Information
Open daily (except Mondays): from 10:00AM to 4:00PM
Rate (per person): 3.00€
Children from 6 to 14 years old, students and adults over 65 years: 1.50€
Duration of visit: 30 minutes

Place de la Visitation
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 50 07 00

Description
This museum, housed in a baroque style chapel dating from the VII century, is home to part of the remarkable collection of sacred works of art belonging to Mrs. Piasecka Johnson, with masterpieces from Rubens, Zurbaran, Ribera and masters of the Italian Baroque period.

Church of Mercy

General Information
Admission free

Place de la Mairie
MC 98000, Monaco

Description
Located on the Place de la Mairie (in the Old Town) and built in 1639, this chapel was the seat of the Brotherhood of Black Penitents, whose first Prior was Prince Honoré II.

Its treasures of religious art include a Christ carved out of wood by the Monégasque François-Joseph Bosio, official sculptor to the Emperor Napoleon I. Above the entrance to the chapel is a magnificent nineteenth-century ceramic scene.

Church of Saint-Charles

General Information
Admission free

Avenue Saint-Charles
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 30 74 90

Description
This elegantb uilding is in the French Renaissance style, with a bell-tower rising to a height of 108 feet. It was inaugurated in 1883.
Nineteen stained glass windows light the nave.
The gilded chandeliers come from the former armory of the Prince’s Palace now the Throne Room.

Church of Sainte Dévote

General Information
Admission free

La Condamine, Place Sainte-Dévote
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 50 25 60

Description
This votive chapel dedicated to the Patron Saint of the Principality and to the Prince and his family was built in the XI century in the Vallon des Gaumates, at the entrance to which the frail skiff carrying the Saint sank in the IV century.

On January 26 every year, at dusk, a boat is burnt on the square in front of the chapel as part of the ceremonies of a traditional religious festival that still has its fervent devotees.

Marlborough Gallery

4 Quai Antonie 1er
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 97 70 25 50
Fax: (+377) 97 70 25 59

General Information
Admission free
Open Monday thru Friday from 11:00AM to 6:00PM

Description
Marlborough Fine Art was founded in London in 1946 by Frank Lloyd and Harry Fischer, and the gallery conducted its first exhbibition in 1947. During the1950's, Marlborough developed an international client base and embraced a new generation of post-World War II artists including Henry Moore, Francis Bacon, Graham Sutherland and Ben Nicholson. In 1960, a second gallery was opened in Rome, in 1963 the New York and in 2000 the Monaco galleries were founded.
Marlborough Gallery represents such seminal artists as Fernando Botero, Claudio Bravo, Dale Chihuly, Chen Yifei, Arnaldo Pomodoro, Manolo Valdés as well as the Estates of Jacques Lipchitz, Oskar Kokoschka and Antonio Saura.

Saint Dévote

Description
Once upon a time right at the beginning of the 4th century there was, on the Island of Corsica, then a Roman province, a cruel governor who persecuted Christians. It was under these circumstances that Dévote, who had vowed her life to the service of God, was arrested, imprisoned and tortured. She died without denying her faith and her martyred corpse was placed by pious hands in a boat leaving for Africa where she would find, they believed, Christian burial.

But in the very early hours of the crossing, a storm arose. And from the mouth of Saint Dévote a dove made its appearance. The storm then abated. The dove guided the boat right up to the coast of Monaco where it ran aground at the entrance to the little valley of the Gaumates on a bush bearing early blossoms.

The body of Dévote was piously received by the small Christian community, which lived in the neighborhood. It is on this day, the sixth of the calends of February for us, January 27th of the year 312 of our era, that Saint Dévote took Monaco and its inhabitants under her protection. A rustic oratory marked the place of her tomb. The faithful residents and sailors passing through Monaco went there in greater and greater numbers to venerate the relics of the Saint and the first miracles took place.

It was then that an evil idea took possession in the mind of an unscrupulous man who, in the dead of night, stole the relics of the Saint with the intention of taking them beyond the seas and selling their powers.

The intended sacrilege was cut short as Providence was watching. A group of fishermen witnessed the robbery and with a few strokes of their oars, made much more powerful by their anger, overtook the thief and his precious plunder. Brought back on to the beach, the thief's boat was burnt as an expiatory sacrifice. During the sieges, which Monaco underwent in the sixteenth century, the Italian Wars and the Wars of Religion, the relics of the Saint were exposed on the ramparts, inspiring the defenders and spreading terror among the besiegers.

That heroic age has now passed away. However, the cult of Saint Dévote still remains strong in the Principality.

Positive proof of this can be seen by attending the ceremonies and events which take place, as soon as night falls, in and around the St. Dévote Church, which was constructed during the reign of Prince Charles III on the site of the original oratory.

Every year on this date, there is a torchlight procession, a religious ceremony and blessing followed by the setting on fire of a boat on a pyre decorated with olive, pine and laurel branches; a picturesque symbolic copy of the boat which the Monégasques burnt in the past to efface all trace of an unpardonable crime ! The evening finishes with a firework display over the Monaco harbor.

The life of Saint Dévote was superbly sung by the Monégasque poet Louis Notari (1879-1961). His poem "The Legend of Saint Dévote" was the starting-point, now more than half a century ago, of a sort of rebirth of the Monégasque tongue. This dialect, with its full-flavored intonations and its amazingly rich vocabulary, has since then been the subject of university theses both in France and elsewhere. It is included in the syllabus of the various schools of the Principality.

Carnival

Description
The tradition of the carnival in Monaco most likely dates back to the fifteenth century. The carnival, the period between the Sunday of Epiphany and Ash Wednesday, was the opportunity for people to enjoy themselves before the long and austere period of Lent.

Young people would disguise themselves as best they could in old clothes. They would form processions, exchanged bawdy cat calls and, holding a large piece of cloth by the corners, throw up into the air an ungainly dummy figure stuffed with straw and rags.

Fights with projectiles, which were often far from harmless - rotten eggs, chickpeas, gravel, oranges and lemons - enlivened the passing of the procession, which usually finished with the burning of the dummy amid general merriment. After this, weather permitting, there was dancing at the corner of the streets or in the fields to the shrill sound of makeshift instruments.

The tradition of the Carnival has been revived over the last thirty years or so with "Sciaratù". Organized by the Roca-Club, this comic procession with its floats, disguises, enormous dummy heads, fights with confetti and dancing in the open air, which rounds off the evening, takes place in the height of summer to the delight of tourists in search of local color.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Si vous avez besoin de billets ou d'autres informations, contactez-nous > ici <

Holy Week Processions

Description
The origin of the religious traditions of Holy Week can be traced back to the time of the Crusades, when survivors of these distant expeditions to the Holy Land introduced the Christians of the West to the rites of their brothers of the East. Accounts of the first Good Friday Processions can be found in Monaco from the thirteenth century. This ceremony, however, did not take on its full significance until the foundation by Prince Honoré II in 1639 of the Venerable Brotherhood of the Black Penitents of Mercy.

Since that time, this Brotherhood, whose members are Monégasques of all ages and conditions, brought together in the spirit of serene piety and disinterested love of one's neighbors, organizes each year on the evening of Good Friday, the Procession of the Dead Christ, a traveling evocation complete with all the characters, real or imaginary, of the main Stations of the Cross.

Saint John

Description
On the eve of Saint John's day, June 23rd, when the gardens of Monaco are ablaze under the setting sun, Monégasques mindful of the customs of their country assemble on the Palace Square.

There are folk groups, surrounding the Palladienne, Monaco's own folk group, a dynamic gathering of young people wearing the costumes of the past, singing, dancing and playing the mandolin charmingly. Groups come from France, Italy and Spain to take part in the Monégasques' Saint John festival.

In the Palace chapel, dedicated to Saint John the Baptist himself, the Prince's Family attend a service which is also attended by several privileged people such as the Presidents of the Tradition Associations, together with their flags.

At the end of this ceremony, two footmen of the Sovereign’s Household, each dressed in fine livery and carrying a burning torch, set alight a bonfire in the center of the Square. The people in the crowd applaud with all their hearts. Airs of bygone times accompany farandoles around the flames over which the boldest leap with a single bound.

On June 24, Saint John's Day, the Feast moves from Monaco-Ville to Monte-Carlo. A procession forms up on the Place des Moulins (Mill Square) where the old olive presses used to operate.

The folk groups form a guard of honor around "Little Saint John" and his lamb. The procession, accompanied by music of its own making reaches the Church of Saint Charles in the parish of Monte-Carlo.

After a religious service, the procession returns to the Place des Moulins. A bonfire is set up, the Monégasque national anthem is played and then, the popular and religious feast combined, the great ball of Saint John commences in the open air and continues until late at night.

Saint Roman

Description
After Saint Dévote, Saint Roman is the most popular and most venerated saint in the Principality.

The veneration by the Monégasques of this Roman legionary, who suffered martyrdom on August 9, 258 in the reign of the Emperor Valerian, goes back to the sixteenth century when a relic of Saint Roman was entrusted to the Terrazzani family who had a chapel built in which to lay it.

For several centuries, the Feast of Saint Roman took place at the hamlet of les Moulins ("the Mills") near the old chapel.

Around 1880, the festivities moved to Monaco-Ville. Today, with the support of the Committee of the Feasts of Saint Roman, people still dance and enjoy cool drinks in the month of August under the foliage of the hundred-year-old trees of the Saint Martin gardens.

Monégasque National Holiday

Description
Faithful to a tradition which goes back to 1857, the Monégasque National Holiday is now celebrated on November 19th (Saint Rainier’s Day), the Saint Day of H.S.H. Prince Rainier of Monaco.

Previously, the Festival of Saint Dévote was observed as the National Holiday.

Typical National Day festivities include: a Thanksgiving Mass with a program of choice music, the conferring of honors and decorations at the Palace, a gala evening at the Opera House, treats for children and elderly people and a grand evening firework display over the harbor which all contribute to make this day of gaiety the great Festival of the Monégasque people.

Numerous traditions, which, though lapsed today but perhaps only temporarily forgotten, bore witness right up to the last century to both the religious spirit and joy of living of the Monégasques.

The Traditions of Saint Blaise, very popular among country people: the peasants came in procession, often on the backs of donkeys, from the plain of the Condamine or its neighboring hills, to have the seeds of their future crops blessed together with several handfuls of figs; these latter had the power of curing tonsillitis and seasonal colds.

The Tradition of the "Mays" with, from the first to the last of this month marking the height of Spring, dances ("farandoles") round a Maypole, decorated with flowers and red and white ribbons - the Monégasque colors - set up in the very center of the Palace Square.

The Tradition of the "Pignata" Ball, organized on the first Sunday of Lent, which takes its name from the cooking pot which members of the crowd, their eyes blindfolded, tried to break at intervals with heavy blows of their sticks.

The Tradition of the "Ciaraviyù" (the Monégasque form of the French word "charivari" meaning "racket") that consisted of providing the most unharmonious serenade possible, continuing all night long, under the windows of newlyweds when they formed a far too disparate couple.

Plus many others which the National Committee of Monégasque Traditions, established in 1924, is trying to revive. It has already revived the tradition of Saint Nicolas, the patron saint of good children, which takes place on December 8.

Monégasque Christmas

Description
Monaco offers special cultural events and gala dinners throughout the Principality on Christmas Eve and on New Year’s Eve, including parades, concerts and activities for children. Monaco's hotels and restaurants offer special packages. On New Year's Eve at the stroke of midnight, revelers convene in the magnificent Casino Square to ring in the New Year.

In Monaco, Christmas Eve was the occasion when all the members of a family would gather at their home to perform, as a preliminary act to the evening meal, the rite of the olive branch. Before sitting down, the youngest of the guests, or the oldest, soaked an olive branch in a glass of old wine. He approached the fireplace where a great fire of pine and laurel branches burned and with his little branch traced the sign of the Cross while pronouncing a few words on the virtues of the olive tree, a source of all kinds of good things. After this, everybody in turn would wet his lips in the glass of wine serving as an aperitif. Dinner traditionally consists of an enormous "brandamincium", a Monégasque dish of salt cod pounded with garlic, oil and cream, surrounded by "cardu", cardoon in white sauce; "barba-giuan", literally "Uncle John", stuffed fritters and "fougasses" flat crunchy biscuits sprinkled with sugared aniseed colored red and white, flavored with several drops of rum and orange-flower water.

On the table covered with a splendid cloth lay a round loaf of bread "u pan de Natal" (the Christmas loaf) on which four walnuts formed a Cross surrounded by several olive twigs.

During Christmastime today in Monaco, one can still find "barba-giuan", "fougasses" and "u pan de Natal" at some of the bakeries in the Principality. In addition, many Monégasques enjoy the Midnight Mass at the Cathedrale.

Exhibition of H.S.H. The Prince of Monaco's Private Collection of Classic Cars

Terrasses de Fontvieille
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 92 05 28 56
Fax: (+377) 92 05 96 09
www.palais.mc

General Information
Open daily: from 10:00AM to 6:00PM
Closed on December 25
Rate (per person): 6€
Children from 8 to 14 years old: 3€
Duration of visit: 45 minutes

Description
The visitor will be able to admire some one hundred vintage and veteran motorcars made by some of Europe’s most prestigious firms. From the 1903 De Dion Bouton to the 1986 Lamborghini Countach, as well as the 1929 Bugatti, the Croisière Jaune Citroem Torepdo and the 1952 Rolls Royce, each of these glittering automobiles is perfectly maintained and they tell the story of XX century motoring history.

Exhibition of H.S.H. The Prince of Monaco's Private Collection of Classic Cars

Terrasses de Fontvieille
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 92 05 28 56
Fax: (+377) 92 05 96 09
www.palais.mc

General Information
Open daily: from 10:00AM to 6:00PM
Closed on December 25
Rate (per person): 6€
Children from 8 to 14 years old: 3€
Duration of visit: 45 minutes

Description
The visitor will be able to admire some one hundred vintage and veteran motorcars made by some of Europe’s most prestigious firms. From the 1903 De Dion Bouton to the 1986 Lamborghini Countach, as well as the 1929 Bugatti, the Croisière Jaune Citroem Torepdo and the 1952 Rolls Royce, each of these glittering automobiles is perfectly maintained and they tell the story of XX century motoring history.

Museum of Chapel of the Visitation

Place de la Visitation
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 50 07 00

General Information
Open daily (except Mondays): from 10:00AM to 4:00PM
Rate (per person): 3.00€
Children from 6 to 14 years old, students and adults over 65 years: 1.50€
Duration of visit: 30 minutes

Description
This museum, housed in a baroque style chapel dating from the VII century, is home to part of the remarkable collection of sacred works of art belonging to Mrs. Piasecka Johnson, with masterpieces from Rubens, Zurbaran, Ribera and masters of the Italian Baroque period.

Museum of Napoleonic Souvenirs and Collection of the Palace's Historic Archives

Place du Palais
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 25 18 31
Fax: (+377) 93 50 81 73
www.palais.mc

General Information
Open daily (subject to changes)
Closure from 11/12 thru 12/16 and on December 25 and January 1
From December to May (except Mondays): from 10:30AM to 12:00PM and from 2:00PM to 4:30PM
From June to September: from 9:30AM to 6:00PM
From October 1 to November 11: from 10:00AM to 5:00PM
Rate (per person): 4€
Children from 8 to 14 years old: 2€
Duration of tape guided visit: 30 minutes

Description
Housed in the south wing of the Prince’s Palace, the ground floor of this museum contains a rich collection of more than a thousand objects and documents relating to the First Empire: objects belonging to the Emperor Napoleon I, garments which belonged to the King of Rome, religious souvenirs from Saint Helena, etc.

The first floor is entirely dedicated to the history of the Principality. Exhibits include the Charter of independence of Monaco, signed by King Louis XII of France; a letter written by Louis XIV to Prince Antoine I; the Prince’s Guards’ uniforms.
Official Monégasque medals (Ordre des Grimaldi and Ordre de Saint-Charles) and foreign medals awarded to the Sovereign prince are also exhibited.

Museum of Prehistoric Anthropology

Boulevard du Jardin-Exotique
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 15 80 06
Fax: (+377) 93 15 29 81
www.monte-carlo.mc/jardinexotique
jadrin-exotique@monte-carlo.mc

General Information
Open daily
From May 15 thru September 15:
from 9:00AM to 7:00PM
From September 16 to May 14:
from 9:00AM to 6:00PM or nightfall
Closed on November 19 and December 25
Rate (per person): 6.60€
Children from 6 to 18 years old and students: 3.30€

Description
Containing a series of priceless burial places originating from localities in the Principality’s vicinity, notably Grimaldi, in Italian Liguria, this museum was founded in 1902 by Prince Albert I.

Its exhibits retrace the most important stages in the history of the human race, from the Australanthropus and Homo Sapiens, including Neanderthal, Cro-Magnon and Grimaldi remains.
In addition, there are vestiges of animals which are now extinct or which migrated in the course of glaciary and interglaciary periods, as well as reminders of successive civilizations: the Paleolithic (nearly a million year ago), the Neolithic, and the Bronze Age (5000 to 500 BC).

Museum of Stamps and Coins

Terrasses de Fontvieille
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 98 98 41 41
Fax: (+377) 98 98 41 42

General Information
Open daily
From October 1 to June 30: from 10:00AM to 5:00PM
From July 1 to September 30: from 10:00AM to 6:00PM
A gift of a postage stamp will be given to each paying visitor
Duration of visit: 1 hour
Rate (per person): 3€
Children from 12 to 18 years old, pensioners and students: 1.50€

Description
This museum opened its doors in 1996 to show off H.S.H. Prince Rainier III's magnificent private collection of Stamps and Coins. Of modern design, it contains, in two specially laid-out rooms, rare philatelic items from the postal history of the Principality as well as the documents (models, hallmark proofs, color tests…), which have been used to print the stamps since the first “Charles III” in 1885 up to the present day.

Also on display, a copperplate rotary press used for printing Monégasque stamps for 60 years that was offered by the French postal Administration; a video presents the history of Monégasque philately and all stages involved in creating a stamp up to the point of marketing. The space reserved for coins, bank notes and commemorative medals demonstrates to visitors the numismatic quality of the Principality since 1640.
Resolutely turned towards the future, the Museum also has a multimedia area where all Monégasque coins and stamps can be examined.

National Museum of Automatons and Doll of Yesteryear

17, avenue Princesse-Grâce
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 30 91 26
Fax: (+377) 92 16 73 21
www.monte-carlo.mc/musee-national

General Information
Open daily
From October to Easter: from 10:00AM to 12:15PM and from 2:30PM to 6:30PM
From Easter to the end of September: from 10:00AM to 6:30PM
Closed January 1, May 1, November 19, December 25 and the fours days of the Grand Prix race
Rate (per person): 6.00€
Children from 6 to 14 years old and students: 3.50€
Duration of visit: 40 minutes

Description
This is a fascinating world of automats and dolls of yesteryear in period costume presented in show-cases containing miniature furniture and everyday items thus recreating the sophisticated atmosphere of the XIX century; this is just what Madeleine de Galéa had in mind when she put together her collection.

The automata are proof of the Parisian makers’ highly surprising ingeniousness at the end of the last century. Completed by a very interesting Neapolitan crib, this marvelous collection is housed in a splendid campanile villa designed by Charles Garnier, the architect responsible for the Paris and Monte-Carlo opera houses, and set in a terraced rose-garden decorated with pieces of modern sculpture.
The automats are demonstrated to the public several times daily.

Naval Museum

Terrasses de Fontvieille
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 92 05 28 48
Fax: (+377) 92 16 05 84
www.musee-naval.mc

General Information
Open daily: from 10:00AM to 6:00PM
Rate (per person): 4€
Children from 8 to 14 years old: 2.50€
Duration of visit: 45 minutes to 1 hour

Description
This extraordinary collection includes some 250 superb scale models of famous sea vessels, some of which have come from H.S.H The Sovereign Prince’s private collection.

The models of the great transatlantic liners, such as the Titanic and the Normandie (10 feet long!) are exhibited alongside exploration ships including Captain Charcot’s “Pourquoi Pas”, Captain Cousteau’s Calypso and Alcyon and Dr Jean-Louis Etienne’s Antartica, as well as training ships, sailing ships from previous centuries and many war ships… the Jeanne d’Arc, the battleship Missouri, impressive aircraft carriers (the model of the Nimitz is 5 meters long!) and Japanese torpedo submarines.

This collection “Europe’s most complete and varied” retraces the fascinating history of shipping.

Oceanographic Museum & Aquarium

Avenue Saint-Martin
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 15 36 00
Fax: (+377) 92 16 77 93
www.oceano.mc

General Information
Open daily
From October to March: from 10:00AM to 6:00PM
From April to June, and September: from 9:30AM to 7:00PM
July and August: from 9:30AM to 7:30PM
Rate (per person): 11€
Children from 6 to 18 years old and students: 6€
Duration of visit: 2 to 3 hours

Description
Inaugurated in 1910 by its founder, Prince Albert I, this exceptional museum of marine sciences is a monumental architectural masterpiece with a grandiose façade rising majestically above the sea to a height of 279 feet. It took 11 years to build, using 100,000 tons of stone from La Turbie.

The impressive rooms of the Museum, open to the public on two floors, contain remarkable collections of marine fauna gathered by Prince Albert, numerous specimens of sea creatures (stuffed or in skeleton form, including the skeleton of a 66 foot whale), models of Prince Albert’s laboratory ships, and craftware made from the sea’s natural products. Part of the first floor is dedicated to the oceanographic works of Prince Albert 1,“Career of a Navigator”.

In the basement, the visitor can enjoy the spectacular delights of the world-famous aquarium with its extraordinary show of marine flora and fauna. With 4,000 species of fish and over 200 families of invertebrates, the aquarium is now an authority on the presentation of the Mediterranean and tropical marine ecosystem. Its latest creation, the “Shark Lagoon”, unveils in a giant tank the diversity and extraordinary colors of the coral reef and its inhabitants.
On the ground floor, exhibitions and varied film projections are regularly presented in the sumptuous décor of the “Conférence room”.
Finally on the top floor, it is possible to have lunch in the restaurant "La Terrasse" admiring a magnificent panorama of the Principality of Monaco and the Italian Riviera. A museum shop is also available.

Wax Museum of the Princes of Monaco

27, rue Basse
MC 98000, Monaco
Tel.: (+377) 93 30 39 05

General Information
Open daily
From October to February: 11:00AM to 5:00PM
From March to September: 10:00AM to 6:00PM
Rate (per person): 3.80€
Children from 8 to 14 years old: 2€
Duration of visit: 20 to 30 minutes

Description
Situated on the Rue Basse, one of the most picturesque streets on the old town, this museum depicts historical episodes in the Grimaldi dynasty from the late XIII century to the present day. The wax figures are life-size, and many of them wear authentic period costumes.

 
La publicité

Nos partenaires

Monaco vaut toujours le détour et a beaucoup à offrir. Sur notre site, nous essayons de vous tenir au courant, de présenter ce pays spécial et de vous soutenir sur place avec tout ce dont vous avez besoin. Nous voudrions remercier tous nos partenaires locaux qui fournissent ce service: